Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Dare to Dye!

Yeah, you. You know that feeling. You do something drastic to your appearance: cut all your hair off, remove your braces, lose your baby fat. Or you do something kinda rebellious: apply to that college in Europe, buy that skanky dress, leave your trash on the lunch table (ooohhh. detention, guys!). Or you do what I did. (If you like to read out loud, please whisper this next sentence!)


You dye your hair. 


Oh gosh, oh gosh. Maybe the Mayans had it wrong! Maybe December 12, 2012 really meant January 1, 2011!

Silly, I know, but people react like that. With something resembling hate, just because you dared to change a bit. The same goes for other things. All things, really. If you start doubting your religion, you are often ridiculed. If you never doubt your religion while all others are, you are ridiculed. If you listen to show tunes and you play football, you are ridiculed. If you listen to rap and perform in a musical, you are ridiculed. Not by everybody, no, but there is enough hidden whisperings and rumors and such that it is certainly enough.

Enough to REALLY rankle people who are attempting to individualize themselves a bit. Anything wrong with that? And sometimes, they're not even attempting to be unique. They simply are unique.

Wow. Deep.

When one is unique, one does things that proves one's uniqueness. One is not TRYING to become hipster or cool or weird. One simply is. One is satisfying oneself.

For example, I have wanted to dye my hair red for two years. I like red hair. Just because I like red hair and decided to dye my hair red does not mean I want to run away from home and join a circus (I mean, I do, but that's irrelevant). If it unsettles you that I changed, then man, you don't know me. You don't even deserve to know me. Next in line, please!

And if it's the red of the hair that bothers you, then you have serious issues that cannot be answered by anyone but a shrink. And if you think I look horrendous with red hair, then I might agree with you. Then tell me how that changes anything. Whenever I see anyone with a hair color which does not suit them, I definitely admire them. Obviously, they don't obsess over matching clothes or lint-free boots or a little hole in a pair of tights. They might not be striving to be attractive. They might be self-confident.They are chill. I want people to think I am chill. Who doesn't? But if you don't think I'm chill, then you're not chill to me. So deal.

Anyways, it's actually kind of nice to know that people care enough about my virtue and my personality (at least as it seems to them) to wonder about me. Don't worry, I'm the same person. Same little Catholic nerd who sings in choir and reads books.

Unfortunately, you are the same person too.
Yeah, life sucks.

No comments:

Post a Comment