Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Big Feet....Large Shoes

Instead of getting packed for Orlando (I do have 14 more hours anyways...) or cleaning my pigsty of a room (I barely use my bed anymore anyways...), I feel like writing.

Last Friday, we had "Career Day" over at sunny Bishop Lynch, my second home. And while my first home is where my heart is, my second home only has a claim on my brain.

So, after attending a wonderful session on secondary education, in which we decided that only extroverts can be teachers (sucks for me) and that men can, in fact, have children up to the date of their death (unless, of course, they take ether), I went to a session on journalism and document design (aka technical writing blahh). Although this sounds like I'm about to blast another speaker, I'm really not. In fact, I tried to get something out of it. Unfortunately, I would rather be an engineer than a technical writer (and I would rather be a truck driver than an engineer...)

So, the most I got out of it was that I need to have an overall theme to my blog.
As you may have noticed, I don't have an overall theme to my blog because,actually, my overall theme is not to have an overall theme. I shall explain.

Honeyed Apricots is derived from my favorite movie ever. Notting Hill. Yeah, it's no Casablanca or Lord of the Rings or Citizen Kane, but it makes me laugh. And it NEVER gets old. I've seen it nine? ten? times. And it's because of the honeyed apricots scene.

"Would you like something to eat? Something to nibble on? Apricots, soaked in honey? Quite why, no one knows, because it stops them tasting like apricots and makes them taste like honey... and if you wanted honey, you could just... buy honey. Instead of apricots. But nevertheless they're yours if you want them."

So, channeling Kurt Vonnegut, this whole blog is a lie. If you really want some deep philosophical thought, pull out some Jean-Paul Sartre or Camus. If you really want humor, go rent a Marx Brothers movie. If you really want to hear about my life, talk to me. But, if you're reading this, you obviously want to read it.
And that is where the lack of a theme comes in. I don't like apricots. I need the honey flavor.

So instead of going on and on and on even more about the best movie in the world, I invite you to watch it. I will even lend it to you if you ask. It is worth the two hours.
And you will learn why men with big feet...have big shoes and why you should always, always, stop in that travel bookshop (but don't ask for Winnie-the-Pooh).

No comments:

Post a Comment