Tuesday, May 4, 2010

May the fourth be with you

A long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away...


I don't really like Star Wars. The battle scenes get repetitious, the aliens freak me out, and whenever I see Anakin in the prequel movies, I hear Weird Al singing in my head.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ANmFVXhyAsk

But, still, I am a fan. As long as Luke isn't on screen, I enjoy the original three movies. A lot. (Sadly, I can't repeat that phrase for the new ones).

And here's why:
1) Harrison Ford- (aka Han Solo) my old man crush. If only he wasn't 67...

Epic quotes:
"I've got a bad feeling about this."

Leia: "Why you stuck up, half-witted, scruffy-looking, nerfherder!"
Han: "Who's scruffy looking?"

"Boba Fett? Boba Fett? Where?"

2) Alec Guinness- (aka Obi-Wan Kenobi)one of my dead old man crushes. Amazing actor (just watch The Bridge Over the River Kwai- a war movie I can actually enjoy). He hated the movies though:
"Guinness recounts grudgingly giving an autograph to a young fan who claimed to have watched Star Wars over 100 times, on the condition that the boy promise to stop watching the film, because, as Guinness told him, "this is going to be an ill effect on your life.""

Epic quotes:
"Obi-Wan Kenobi...Obi-Wan...Now, that's a name I've not heard in a long time...a long time."

"The Force will be with you. Always."

"Why do I sense we've picked up another pathetic life-form?"

3) Yoda- (aka Frank Oz, Grover, etc.) I wish I could talk like him without feeling like a complete dweeb. I also have a thing for big pointy ears (Spock...). I watch the prequels just to see him fight with his little lightsaber.



Epic quotes:
"No! Try not. Do, or do not. There is no try."

"Size matters not. Look at me. Judge me by my size do you?"

"Remember, a Jedi's strength flows from the Force. But beware. Anger, fear, aggression. The dark side are they. Once you start down the dark path, forever will it dominate your destiny."

4)Carrie Fisher- (aka Leia) because she's Debbie Reynold and Eddie Fisher's daughter and because of this one line:
"Will someone get this big walking carpet outta my way?"
Her hair is kickass too...

5)Chewbacca- inspired by the same dog Indiana Jones was named after. Big, hairy sweetheart.

Epic quote:
"Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrgh!"
Obi-Wan: "Let the Wookie win!"
"Grrf."


6) Mini Chewbaccas- (aka Ewoks)I want one. Makes me cry every time when the one striped Ewok is killed...



7) The Millenium Falcon
8) C3PO and R2D2
9) The Garbage Crusher scene
10) Any scene with Jabba the Hutt
11) Jar-Jar Binks
12)George Lucas
13) The awful graphics
14) The original final scene of the very last one; before they decided to put Hayden Christensen in to make it correlate to the prequels...and the change in the party song :(
15) The attempt to make it scientifically viable.
16) Parodies of it
17) Darth Vader's asthma problem
18) The Emperor's electrocution
19) I am your father
20) NOOOOOO
21) The instant classification given to Star Wars fans. You watch Star Wars? Nerd.
22) The wacky fan base
23) Lightsabers and blasters
24) Anachronisms
25) Greedo

etc...

May the fourth be with you.
At least for 24 hours.

Thank you for reading!
Sincerely,
Your Friendly Neighborhood Nerd

No comments:

Post a Comment