Monday, November 22, 2010

Emotionally Compromised

"Doctor, I am emotionally compromised and no longer fit for command, please note the time and date in the ship's log."

Zachary Quinto, a.k.a. the 'new Spock', said this line after the jerk Kirk had just incited Spock's anger and sorrow over the death of his mother. Now, it's hard to feel sorry for the dude, since two minutes later he was making out with Zoe Saldana in the elevator, but I think we can all sympathize with the message. He realized, after giving Kirk the punch in the face he very much deserved, that his emotions were affecting his day to day functions, that he really could not make rational judgments because of the severe traumatic shock his body and mind had just gone through.

Spock had an easy way to get out of responsibility after that. He literally did not have the authority to make decisions. He could go along with whatever the new captain said, realizing that his opinion really was not objective in the slightest. But we are not all half-Vulcan. We all do not have the option to simply give up responsibility. In real life, we constantly have to make those decisions which could help or harm others so easily, and very often we thrust our emotions to the side, trying to be objective but instead building up a deadly defense wall which, once perpetrated by a glance or a word, falls in on itself in a hopeless case of self-destruction. Now, try saying that last sentence three times fast.

Seriously, though, I have no solution.
It's stupid to try to give advice or make important decisions (or even unimportant decisions) when emotionally unstable in any which way, whether it be love or death or life. I mean, just tonight I've eaten a week's worth of ice cream and nut brownies (and I do not like nut brownies in the slightest...), and that seemingly unimportant decision to mistreat my body will cause a rather unpleasant stomachache in the morning. And it also kinda destroys my fast for Thanksgiving...
It's also stupid to curl up in a ball and refuse to interact with people, for fear that your instability will transfer over to their lives and result in a misinterpreted signal or whatever. Pretty much, don't isolate yourself. Someone is willing to listen, even if it is someone whom you have never really spoken to before. Hell, give me a call, facebook me, whatever. However, take into account that the person you are talking to may be emotionally compromised as well. Don't take anything at face value. That doesn't mean don't trust anyone, but get second opinions.

Now, before you start praising me as the bringer of all things truth, realize that I myself may be emotionally compromised. My blog might just be the rantings of my subconscious whenever I feel slighted, or wronged, or lonely.

Emotions are funny things. The other day, I was having mood swings. One moment I would be jump-up-and-down happy (and I'm so past caring about what other people think of me that I in fact did jump up and down several times throughout the day) and two minutes later I would be digging a hole to bury myself in the ground (fortunately, there is no loose soil in any of the classrooms, so I couldn't literally do that).

A friend told me a couple of minutes ago that I should stop concentrating on the many negatives in my life right now and instead think of the positives. Cliche, yes, but it is cheesy holiday schmaltzy season, and it really can help to count your blessings. This Thursday, forget your cynicism, your agnosticism, your bitterness, your sorrow, and instead think of those things you have-friends, family, pets, food, clothing, (school), LIFE, and let yourself be emotionally compromised with the absolute joy you will feel. Give up your attempt to be cool and chill and self-contained and let yourself feel something. Tear down your wall yourself before it can collapse on you.

Emotional Compromise is the best way to let yourself be human.
And, for everyone out there bothering to read this, I probably love you.
And I definitely forgive you.

2 comments:

  1. Karen, you are fantastic. This really helped me today; thank you and keep it up! :)

    Abigail

    ReplyDelete
  2. Karen, admittedly I read a great many of your blog posts. This one in particular hits the nail right on the head for me. We shouldn't wallow in our own self pity (I think that might be another cliche :P) but instead share it with others, accept it, and move on. I hope I understood what you were trying to say...

    ReplyDelete