Monday, August 30, 2010

A Boycott of Facebook a.k.a. Redefining My Life in One Week


From Monday to Monday, August 30-September 6, I have vowed not to let my fingers type in my username and password to enter that cyberworld of social interaction, instant chat, and awful surveys, known more commonly as Facebook.

I am a bit of an addict. I usually update my status once a day and have officially liked 305 different topics (musicians, hobbies, movies, books, etc. so I guess I could simply be considered more cultured with more diverse interests than anyone else...). Especially during the school year, much of my social interaction outside of school consists of having conversations through Facebook chat or posting on other people's walls. So, for me to spend a week away from Facebook definitely impacts some undefined part of my life.

I have stayed away from Facebook for longer than a week before. This summer, there were two different ten day periods where I simply did not have access to a computer. This is different, though. I'm on a computer now, but I cannot scroll up and select the bookmarked Facebook. I have to resist the temptation, and with my addictive personality, an added element - psychological, in fact - is in play.

So, why am I doing this? Does it matter that I'm not checking Facebook for a week? Really, it should not be this big of a deal.

But...I'm applying to eleven colleges right now, I'm taking multiple AP classes, I'm in a bajillion clubs, choirs, not to mention the 29 page piano concerto I have to learn within the next several months. So this is an experiment. If my life drastically improves, if my time-management skills improve, if any of my grades go up, if I get more sleep, etc., then this will be a success. Maybe I'll give up Facebook for two weeks next time, or a month, or even more.

This is a chronicle of my seven days...

DAY ONE:

Not too bad. I actually had my little brother check my Facebook page just to make sure that nobody had anything pressing to tell me. That's not cheating, is it? Well, too late now. I finished my college application schedule, which means all I have to do is actually...apply.
For the next several hours, though, I will be distracted by calculus, European history, and 1984, so don't count on me giving up today!

DAY TWO, THREE, and FOUR :

Thursday now. I'm alive and very well. Giving up Facebook is kind of like giving up chocolate for Lent. The first couple days are hard, but then you realize that you actually only ate chocolate once or twice a week anyways. No big deal. But this experiment has inspired me to maybe change the subject of this blog. Instead of a mix of music, film, literature, politics, etc., I might decide to concentrate instead on giving up some common item for a week...cell phone, ice cream, homework... the options are endless! Stay tuned!

DAY FIVE, SIX :

Yeah. Ditto the above post.

No comments:

Post a Comment