Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Adios Dallas, Hola Honduras!

On Thursday I depart on the most exciting trip of my life thus far. (I also get to wake up earlier than I ever have in my life...but whatever)
This. is. Honduras.

Yeah, I'm really nervous. No hot water, washing machines, electronics, air conditioning (100 plus degree weather all the time! and we have to wear pants!), fresh produce, movies, etc. But, guess what? We do get to blog! Check out this site to keep up with your favorite person http://geotechexplorers.ning.com/.
I'm looking forward to getting away from home, a bit of a taste of what college life will be like, especially if I get to leave the state as I wish. (I also get to miss the tumultuous process of house renovations, thank the Lord.)

This past school year has undoubtedly been the most stressful, long, ridiculously pointless, and most humbling one yet. Because of that, I definitely need a bit of spiritual, physical, and emotional renewal. Sort of like a St. Ives apricot scrub for the soul. I am also excited to meet and bond with the Bishop Dunne and John Paul II missionaries, not to mention my fellow Lynchies.

However, what I'm most afraid of is not being changed as much as I expect to be. I'm afraid that once I get back to a very comfortable, lazy life in Dallas, I will return to my slothful, selfish, taking-everything-for-granted self. Pray it ain't so.

And I am seriously in need of a bit of spiritual renewal, after being scarred by a year of nonchalance. I quite honestly despise the non-caring Catholic-in-name-only person that I have become, since I had promised myself at every camp, retreat, confession session that I would certainly not become that. Which shows the true weakness of the human spirit. Sigh.

But a bit of optimism is called for. I was looking through the pictures from last on the blog site, and I swear I was almost crying. Seeing the little Honduran kids and the American high school students so obviously bonding really encouraged me.

And, you know, I'll probably be in pretty amazing shape when I get back.
A mission trip to Honduras? A wonderful resume builder, not to mention a great essay topic.
My French-speaking self might actually pick up a bit of Spanish too.

June 10-20. Then I'll be back. Please pray bunches.
See ya.

No comments:

Post a Comment