Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Je suis qui je suis

I haven't actually gotten around to explaining why I started this amazing blog...
It all started with Julie and Julia. That incredible movie probably caused an inundation of blogs, most of them second- or third- rate (much like mine), from people who think they have something important to say or those who think they don't have anything important to say but want to test it out just in case, or those who actually DO have something important to say. I like to think I am a mix of all of the above, and so my posts may range from totally random and seemingly anti-normal English grammar to incredibly insightful and deep.

But anyways, I have always loved to write - anything from research papers to poetry to short stories. However, I tend to leave things half-finished, or even just write a sentence and give up. I did start a subscription to Writer's Digest a few months ago and once I get around to actually reading the three issues which have come, I'm sure my writing will show progress. In fact, I believe I will post my favorite bit of work:

Make Lasagna Instead

What are we but strings of spaghetti?
Birthed through the pain of scalding water and salt
Emerging fresh and renewed from the Baptismal pot
Just to be corrupted by the scarlet marinara of life
Twirled about the tongs of a power seemingly higher (or lower?) than our own
Our lives shortened each day, cut by the knife of age
Intertwined with others suffering the same
Obstructed by the meatballs of fear and loneliness
The white dusting of Parmesan gradually pinkening and melting into nothing more than an added texture
Eventually gathered into an indiscriminate ball
And thrust into the black hole of digestion
While the rest of the noodles struggle to escape
Only to reach the disposal

I also read constantly, though my reading list has been lately limited to reading school required texts. However, I did just finish a book by my new idol, Jordan Safran Foer (Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close) and I am starting All the King's Men, which captivated me by the first page (a digression about being hypnotized by the black line on the highway and falling to one's doom as a result). I also recently discovered that in spite of my best efforts, I adore Jane Austen. And despite the supposed unresistable sentimentality of Nicholas Sparks, I was unable to finish either of his books that I started. (and sorry, female readers, but Channing Tatum is not attractive at all-he looks like a thug). But I believe I will use another opportunity to tout my reading list.

So, to summarize, I started this blog for my own enjoyment, for the hoped for enjoyment of my readers, and for my own sanity parce-que this is probably the most relaxing hobby I have as of now.

Enjoy! Or Don't! It's Your Choice!

P.S. Excuse my ramblings.

No comments:

Post a Comment